3 Quarts Bread and Butter Pickles
I added a little chili powder, lemon and pepper to give it a slight bite. I also ignored the onions as I’m no fan of onions and celery. I let these sit with the weight on them for about twenty four hours since I got busy, I think it just let the flavor sink in more.
- 15 cups sliced cucumbers
- 3 onions, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup coarse salt
- 4 cups cracked ice
- 2 1⁄2 cups cider vinegar
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- Combine cucumbers, onions, salt and ice in a large bowl.
- Mix well.
- Put a weight on and allow to stand 3 hours. (I used a plate with a jar of honey, anything will do).
- Rinse and drain thoroughly.
- Combine vinegar, sugar, turmeric, celery seed and mustard seed in a large pot.
- Add drained cucumbers.
- Place pot on medium low heat.
- Bring almost to a boil, but DO NOT ALLOW TO BOIL.
- Remove from heat.
- Seal in sterilized jars, 10 minutes in a hot water bath.
- Easy way to sterilize jars: Wash them well in hot soapy water.
- Dry them off.
- Put on a cookie sheet, right side up, at 225°F for 15 minutes.
- Turn off oven and leave them in there until you need them.